Thursday, June 9, 2011

Every summer for one month on the weekends an event called the Renaissance festival is hosted not far from here.  I believe that most areas across the country have something similar.  A great many people get dressed up in medieval attire (or any form of costume for that matter) and reenact the days of old.  There is a King and Queen, jesters, jugglers, actors and almost everything else imaginable.  Chris and I try to go once a year to get reference photos and enjoy the festivities.

This is a place to get some really neat pictures.  All the participants are always in a good mood and seem to really enjoy having their pictures taken.  But, this can also be a source of difficulty.  You see when they see you with a camera pointed their way they pause and smile.  What would have been a beautiful candid shot now seems contrived.  When one is using a point and shoot camera as I do this will be a constant problem.  I need to upgrade to a better camera which would make use of a longer lens.  A longer lens would allow me to stand further away and zoom in discretely and get that more candid shot.  Ah well if wishes were horses beggars would ride.
Fur Hats  Oil 6" X 6"
Photo by Artist

I love the fur hats on these to girls.  They look like two Siberian beauties.  The weather was cold on this day and I'm sure the hats felt comfortable.  The other gal in the tricorn hat falls into a different era but why should I be judgmental.  I could have painted her out but maybe there is a nifty story in this just waiting to be told.  I'll look at this painting from time to time and it might trigger an imaginative idea.  Who knows?

No comments: