Saturday, May 21, 2011

Voyageur- Top Hat

Oil 5X7
Photo by Artist
This guy looked pretty interesting.  I wonder if top hats were really worn commonly in the 1700s.  Everyone I met at the encampment had such a knowing look; one of knowledge and confidence.  It was as if they were sizing me up; assessing my character.

I wonder if I would get the same feeling if I encountered this guy on the street in contemporary clothing.  I wonder which is his true self: the one who drives a car or the one who sits by an open fire with a top hat and a piercing stare?

2 comments:

Mary Rochelle said...

Great job, you have really captured this man's persona!

Unknown said...

Thanks Mary I love to paint and draw people as do you. I have recently been trying to paint a small work per day but doing so is quite a challenge. Seeing how much this practice has helped so many others, I thought it will help me.