Sunday, May 29, 2011

Fencing With a Brush

The scene unfolds at the Friday paint session.  The usual suspects have arrived. Social chatter accompanies the unpacking of paints and equipment.  Supports are on the easels and, with brushes at hand, we we are ready to begin.

Enter the model.  He looks great!  He's dressed in Italian Renaissance attire (although I'm not too sure about the boots) and exudes a confident swagger.  He works the group like a carnival tent show caller.  He has all of us relaxed and loose.
Oil 20" X 16"
Photo by Artist

The leader of the group sets up the lighting and arranges a chair for the pose.  But he doesn't just sit in the chair;  he owns  it.  One leg hangs over the chair arm, and one hand holds his sword.  He sits so commandingly that you could envision a servant about to bring him a goblet of wine.

It might be the boots, but me thinks he looks more like a pirate than a renaissance man.

I have a 16 by 20 inch canvas and four hours to fill it.  I begin painting but soon realize that the pace must be picked up.  I throw more paint onto the palette and I throw caution to the wind.  I'm starting to have fun!

After a while, I notice that we're singing to the music in the background (not too loudly of course and not Pirates of the Caribbean).

As the time begins to run out, my intensity increases and I see myself fencing with the painting.  I am jabbing and swooshing like I have a foil in my hand.  I am racing to put on the last few touches and in an instant it is all over.  I put down my sword, I mean brush, and step back.  I don't always get a chance to fight like this with a painting.

I love working with a live model.  Some days, like this one, hold a special significance.  I believe that you learn more when you're pushed for time and not allowed to think.  Thinking and planning are better left for the studio.

No comments: