Saturday, June 8, 2013

Za Vue Workshop

It was quite an experience to have had the honor of attending Za Vue's workshop.  Za is a veteran with ten years at the Disney animation studios before leaving and coming to Oregon.  She brought with her a professionalism that was obvious right from the start of the class.  A personal folder with class outline, objectives, thoughts and quotes was given to each attendee.  She also supplied a beautiful spread of snacks, coffee and tea.

Za's demo was slow to develop but came together quickly at the end
We began simply by speaking and getting to know each other.  Za seemed to expend great effort and time to set the mood for the class.  Too much I thought.  I wanted to get into the meat of the class.  I didn't realize until later that we were in the meat of the class.  Za was setting the foundation for proper thinking about art.  She was dropping diamonds of information in front of us but I just wasn't gathering them fast enough.

This work started in a very high key but Za helped me rescue it

Za began her demo and it was like watching a magic show; right there on the canvas the image started to appear.  I believe that part of the magic is due to how Za paints her subjects; she stays on the big shapes and leaves the details to the end.  The painting develops slowly this way, but finishes with a flurry.  Near the end of the painting the image just jumps out.


It amazes me how difficult/easy it is to shift values.  It's an enigma!

Za made sure that everyone received personal attention.  She traversed the room constantly and saw everything that we were doing while we were doing it.  Nothing seemed to excape her gaze.  When I found myself staring at my palette in bewilderment she would appear and quickly mix the right color.  "There, look at the model.  Do you see the coolness on the side of her face?"  I shook my head in acknowledgement while straining to see what she meant.


Seeing color temperature is going to take a lot of practice

During the class she stressed the truths about art that have come down through the ages from the great masters.  None of these truths are new; they have been tested through the centuries.  Most of what she said I have heard before.  So what was it about her rendition that struck a cord with me?  I think it was the energy and enthusiasm with which she delivered it.  She spoke as a coach to the team before a big game, "This stuff is soooo easy.  Work on your drawing skills.  Get your three values in.  Evaluate your warms and cools."(paraphrased).



So what did I learn?

  • I learned that to paint well one has to keep on painting.  
  • A good design has a least three values.  
  • Be aware of the warms and cools.
  • Keep drawing skills up.
  • Put plenty of paint on the canvas.
  • Adjust your edges.


Didn't I know this already?  Yeah, but I guess one just has to keep on hearing it.  And Za just knows how to get these points across to someone.

It was great having an energetic coach Za to slap me on the side of the head and cheer me on.

Would I recommend a Za Vue workshop to someone?  IN A HEARTBEAT!





No comments: