Monday, July 18, 2011

Ah - The Good Old Summertime

Where does the time go?  Summer arrived and ushered in a slew of distractions.  Distractions are always present in one form or another but sometimes it seems that they team up for a concentrated assault. 

I have been suffering a dry spell as of late.  It is tough to stir up enthusiasm and dive into a project.   The blog goes without a post.  Production is near a standstill.  I envy those dedicated souls who can work through any obstacles and paint every day in spite of them. 

But I won’t give up.  Sooner or later I’ll pry distractions’ nasty fingers from my throat and find myself painting with passion once more. 

The other day I found myself in front of a live model; finally a break in the lull!  Is the worm turning?  Will things now be getting back to normal?  What a joy it was to be back at the easel.  The drawing flowed effortlessly.  It was one of those happy times when you watch in amassment as the drawings appear on their own right in front of you.

I suppose it is similar to how golfers relate to their sport.  They speak of the disheartening anguish they feel hitting 19 sub-par shots in a row.  Then, that 20th shot rockets perfectly off the club head and lands in the middle of the fairway.  The euphoria they feel will carry them through the upcoming pitfalls until that next perfect shot. 
Oil on board  4" X 5"

Will drawing always be an emotional roller coaster for me like it is for the golfers or will practice eventually bring me to a point where I am virtually always in charge?  I have my doubts.  I think real life points toward the roller coaster scenario. 

A friend once wrote me “but for great sadness there can be no great joy.”  If we carry this idea to art we could say “but for great failures there can be no great success.”  Yes I’m sure that in one way or another, in the long term, it will be a great ride.  Tighten your seat belt and hang on; the coaster is rolling!

No comments: