Saturday, April 9, 2011

Open Studio: Ego Man



Correll Bois
The open studio for drawing and painting can be a wonderful way to develop those needed skills or to maintain sharpness in those already acquired.  Most of the artists I have met in the studio have been kind and generous, both in sharing knowledge and even supplying tools or paper (just for beginners though; a veteran forgetting his own supplies is like forgetting his pants and showing up in his underwear). 

Occasionally, there are dangers lurking in the open studio.  One of these dangers is Ego Man.  I encountered him upon entering an open studio setting a while back.   Ego Man had gotten there early (this is one of his tactics).  Before anyone else could set up, he placed his easel two feet before and slightly to the left of the seated portrait model.  Placing a large canvas upon the easel and oblivious to the others behind him, he happily waited for the session to begin. Had there been a breeze in the room this canvas would have undoubtedly sailed away.

Immediately to his right was Ego Gal seated at along table.  The table took up the same room that three artists could have occupied.  The entire table surface was covered with an array of watercolor equipment.  Ego Gal seemed content.

All the remaining artists were compelled to find places behind these two Ego People.  The monitor seemed oblivious to what was going on.  I gazed at the huge white billboard obscuring the model and my blood boiled.  What should I do?  Do I walk out or place my own easel in front of Ego Man and begin a confrontation?

In my headstrong youth, I probably would have created a scene. But now, wiser and calmer, I gathered my bag and left quietly.  The stress is just not worth it.  Life is too short.

Fast forward about one year to the present.  Out of curiosity, I called the studio and found that the open draw was still in effect there.  I also discovered that others had complained about the same issue.  I was assured that Ego People were no longer tolerated and all participants would now be treated respectfully.  I intend to go back soon and check it out.  Maybe I’ll have another place to paint now. 

No comments: