Thursday, April 14, 2011

Open Studio Dangers: Slider

Pout

Another dangerous type that haunts the studio I call the Slider.  He usually appears at an inopportune moment to spoil someone’s fun.

At a certain open figure drawing session one day, all the participants were busy setting up, eager to get started.  Chatter filled the room.  It was a packed house.  We stood shoulder to shoulder circling the model-stand like Indians facing Custer.  To my left was a polite and quiet woman who had been coming now for a few weeks.

My eye caught a movement by the door:  a latecomer.  My gaze followed him as he circled the perimeter of the studio.  He was sizing up the situation, deciding where to go.  Finally his meanderings stopped at my left side.  I was ready to move so that he could get in line but he did not ask.  He quietly took his easel and slid between me and that gal to my left.  He paused and then slid further forward.  He paused again, adjusted himself and moved to the left.  Now he was completely blocking her view.  Slider was picking on a woman:  what a coward.  By moving to this position he was in essence telling her, “I am more important than you”.

I looked around the room.  Was I the only one to see this drama unfolding?  I waited for her to say something but she remained silent.  She moved back further to where she could peer between heads.  It seems that most artists are just gracious people who don’t want to make waves. 

What is wrong with some people?  Where is the simple respect?  If someone asked to squeeze in for a better position, the other artists would gladly have made room. 

Between characters like this, insensitive art critics and entry rejections it’s hard to persevere and maintain good humor.  This is why artists need to acquire such tough skins.  But keep at it.  Keep pumping out your art and defining your voice.

P.S.

I still have a nagging guilt that I should have said something in the woman’s behalf.  But was it my place to do so?  Should she have spoken up first?  If anyone has any advice or words of wisdom please share them.  I would be very grateful.

2 comments:

Candy said...

Boy, have I been in that spot before. The insensitivity, or outright arrogance, of some can be a hard pill to swallow. But in my opnion, I think it was the woman's place to speak up for herself, then if needed, add your observation.

I like your drawings, and your writing. Good job.

Unknown said...

Candy,
you helped relieve my conscience a little. Thanks.

Tim